Monday, May 14, 2012

Being the Fuel

I heard a couple of challenging discussions of the "drink offering" concept over this school year, and that's what's on my mind today so I'm sharing.

While it's easy to look at the passage where Paul says he's already being offered up as a drink offering and taking applications about being sacrifices for the Lord and being fully devoted and selfless in service, and those are helpful applications, the drink offering in the Bible isn't exactly your normal sacrifice. Drink offerings (thank you Luke Chandler) were used to pour on sacrifices as a fuel for the fire. They were the alcohol that allowed the sacrifices to burn freely.

So. What does that change about the application we can take?

If I'm being a drink offering, I'm giving of myself to allow someone's sacrifice to burn. I'm the one who's helping someone else praise and worship the Lord. I'm the one who is poured out to fan the flame of another follower's sacrifice.

Today, pray that we can be drink offerings. That your life will be poured out and bring some wanderer to sacrifice to the Lord. That you can help light the fire in someone's life and encourage him to be more devoted, and encourage him to give it all to God.

Be willing to be poured out to fuel the fire in someone else's offering. It'll make yours burn more brightly, too.


"Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee. Take my moments and my days, let them flow in ceaseless praise. I surrender all."


"So let my whole life be a blazing offering, a life that shouts and sings the greatness of our King."

No comments:

Post a Comment